Butternut Squash Alfredo
- 2 strips Applewood smoked bacon
- 1 Shallot, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 T fresh sage, chopped
- ¼ t cayenne
- ¼ t nutmeg
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t pepper
- 2-3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 c chicken broth
- ½ c half and half
- 1 c grated parmesan
- 8 oz pasta, cooked al dente according to package directions
- Cook bacon in a pan over medium heat, flip half way through. Remove bacon after cooking and crumble into pieces, reserve bacon fat.
- Sautee shallot in bacon fat 2-3 minutes until it begins to turn translucent. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute
- Add sage, seasonings, squash and chicken broth. Mix well and simmer over medium-low heat until all broth is absorbed and you can pierce the squash with a fork. This should take 15-20 minutes. Add more broth if needed.
- Add squash mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Return mixture to the pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the half and half and parmesan cheese. Mix well. Add the al dente pasta and bacon and stir to combine. Serve immediately.