- 2½ cups sugar
- 1½ cups applesauce
- 2 pkg. (85 grams or 3 oz each) Jell-O Strawberry Jelly Mix
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and chill it in the refrigerator.
- In a large saucepan combine the sugar, applesauce, Jell-O and gelatin and stir constantly over medium heat.
- Allow to come to a boil for 1 minute.
- Pour into the cold baking pan and place in the refrigerator until it's set. I actually placed mine in the snow outside for 1 hour, because I'm Canadian and all.
- Run a spatula around the perimeter of the set gelatin and slide underneath very carefully to loosen.
- Sprinkle sugar onto a cutting board and invert the pan over it, the gelatin should slide out.
- Gently lift the gumdrop rectangle and sprinkle more sugar onto the board and lay the gelatin onto it.
- Cut out your heart shapes using a cookie cutter of your choice.
- Roll in more sugar to coat the shapes fully and store in an air-tight container.