Deconstructed Steak Tacos
- Seasoning blend – cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, cayenne
- Cilantro – ½ cup, packed and divided
- Scallions – 1
- Tomato - 1
- Brown rice – I c
- Vegetable broth – 2 c
- Olive oil – 2 T
- Pepper – 1 small
- Onion – 1 small
- Avocado - 1
- Garlic – 2 cloves, chopped
- Lime – 1
- Make the seasoning blend by combining 1 teaspoon of all seasonings except the cayenne. Use ¼ teaspoon of cayenne (more if you like spice)
- Chop scallion, tomato and ¼ cup cilantro. In a sauce pan, combine 1 cup brown rice, chopped scallion, tomato and cilantro with 2 cups of vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for around 45 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, chop the pepper and onion. Place on a cookie sheet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of spice mixture. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- Preheat a grill pan (or grill) to medium-high heat. Season steak with the rest of the seasoning mixture plus an additional teaspoon of salt. Add remaining olive oil to pan and grill for 5-8 minutes on each side. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- While the steak is cooking, zest the lime. Add ½ of the zest to the rice mixture and stir.
- In a bowl or food processor, combine the avocado, the remaining cilantro, garlic and juice from the lime. Mash or blend until well combined.
- Prepare the plate by first plating the rice followed by the veggies and steak. Finish with a dollop of the avocado mixture. Enjoy!